Among Armenians who were associated with the indigo trade in the latter half of the 19th and early part of the 20th centuries, was G.M. Gregory.
Gregory Marcar Gregory completed his education at Trinity College, Cambridge, then came to India and joined the Revenue Department of the Government of India and was put in charge of indigo,opium and rose-water and posted at Gazipur. He remained in Government Service until his retirement after which he settled in London and enjoyed his pension for many years. Whilst he was in India, Gregory was a keen volunteer and retired from the Service as a lieutenant-colonel. At the outbreak of the First World War, the British Government appointed him Liaison Officer for Armenians living in, or passing through the UK.
G.M. Gregory was married to Edith Sheridan who belonged to a well-known Irish family. They had two sons. Marc, the older, trained as an engineer and was employed in the Indian Railways in undivided India. He was posted to the Punjab and remained in Railway Service until his retirement. He then settled in England.
The images in this blog are from his personal family albums from his time in India.
In 1912, Gregory Marcar Gregory translated from the French edition, with the author’s permission “The Church of Armenia. Her History, Doctrine, Rules, Discipline, Liturgy, Literature and Existing Condition” by Malachia Ormanian Formerly Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople. Now out of copyright, it can be freely downloaded.